Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Smoked Salmon Salad


Eggs are my best food friend. I'll make them for breakfast on the weekends, I'll cook them in a spicy tomato sauce for dinner, and sometimes I can scramble them into leftovers and have fried rice for lunch! Leftover pasta? Spanish rice? I've put eggs on them before, too. Usually, when a meal is lacking in protein, my go-to solution is to plop an egg on it.


It's easy to see why as soon as I saw this salad, I had to make my own. There was only one problem...

I had never poached eggs before.


What's even sadder is that I had never EATEN poached eggs before. (Not counting shakshuka, of course.)

Luckily, a simple Google search lead me to Deb's fabulous post on how to poach an egg. (Seriously, where would I be without her?) I was off! Cracking eggs into a little bowl and pouring them into a whirlpool of almost-boiling water. It was scary, fascinating, and energizing all at the same time. When I scooped the eggs up and place them to dry on a paper towel, I couldn't help but notice the charming resemblance to a certain pixar character ...


Once you get passed the egg poaching, this salad comes together with ease.

Smoked Salmon Salad with Poached Eggs
inspired by JungleFrog
makes 2 large dinner servings

Ingredients
for salad
1 package of pre-washed Spring Mix Salad (feel free to use your favorite greens)
8 oz. smoked salmon

for dressing
3 oz. canola oil
1 oz. extra virgin olive oil
1 oz. red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Fresh cracked pepper and sea salt

Directions

Combine greens in a medium bowl.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together oils with vinegar. Add the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic powder. Whisk until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add your desired amount of dressing to greens, making sure to toss the vegetables and coat well. Plate your dressed greens, topping each serving with smoked salmon and two poached eggs. Sprinkle pepper and salt over the eggs and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment